Okoy Ka Kalabasa (Squash Fritters) - I saw this dish for quite some time now in food trade exhibit at SM Megatrade Hall. I made one at home and I was amazed it was good.
The flavor is a bit sweet and perfectly match with vinegar dipping.
1 cup - kalabasa (grated in strips)
1 cup - flour
½ cup water
¼ kg - small shrimps, about an 1 ½ inch long, for toppings
1 pc - egg
1/2 tbs - salt
1 cup of cooking oil for frtying
For Dipping Sauce:
2 cloves - garlic (crushed)
½ cup – vinegar
1 bulb – onion (chopped)
½ tbs - ground black pepper.
1. In a bowl, dissolve flour ½ cup water. Add egg and ½ tbs of salt. Blend well.
2. Add kalabasa strips to the dissolved flour and mix.
3. In a deep frying pan, heat up 1 cup of cooking oil.
4. Pour about ¼ cup of kalabasa strips mixture into the frying pan. Immediately, put at least 4 pieces of shrimp on top of the patties.
5. Fry until golden brown.
6. Serve with vinegar & garlic for dipping.
How to make the dipping sauce:
In a bowl, mix vinegar with crushed garlic, onions, a pinch of salt and ground black pepper.