One of the most popular desserts served by Filipino during special occasions such birthdays, fiestas, Christmas celebration is the Leche Flan. It a simple and easy to make yet delicious. I learned to make this dessert when I was still in grade school. I joined my mom in the preparation of ingredients and the proper way of mixing it. If you already have the right ratio of the number of eggs, amount of sugar and milk, the secret of fine and smooth looking flan is proper mixing. Mixing all the ingredients manually and gently is better than using an electric mixer. Manual mixing form less bubbles than machine mix and this will gives a smooth finish Leche Flan.
The mold or "llanera" is also an important consideration in making Leche Flan. Mold comes with different shape such as oval, heart ,flower, petal, or round shapes. Choosing your favorite mold shape will surely make a good presentation that makes your flan looks delicious.
12 pieces of chicken eggs (yolks only)
1 big can of evaporated milk (370ml)
1 can of condensed milk (300ml)
¼ cup of white sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1. In a big bowl, mix the egg yolks, sugar, evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla. Use a whisk or fork to blend the ingredients but do it gently to prevent bubbles from forming. Set aside
2. Now prepare the llanera (aluminum mold) with caramelized syrup. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of sugar into the llanera and caramelize over a low fire. Continue heating until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color.
3. Spread the caramel on the bottom by tilting the llanera. Cool it down.
4. Pour the mixture in the llanera to about ¾ full and cover it with an aluminum foil.
5 Put the filled llanera on the steamer and steam to about 45 minutes.
6. Remove the llanera and let it cool. Refrigerate for at least for a couple of hours before serving.
7. Serve the dessert and enjoy.