Just like Chicken Mechado dish, Chicken Caldereta is also chicken stewed in tomato sauce, soy sauce, bell pepper, laurel leaf, onions and garlic. But what makes the difference? Chicken Caldereta has thicker and richer sauce. Typically we add mash chicken or pork liver and cheese that make the sauce thicker.
Traditionally, caldereta refers to cooking goat meat stewed on same ingredients mention above. But I think the easiest way to describe or name other meat cooked the caldereta way is to mention the meat name plus the word caldereta, like chicken caldereta or beef cadereta.
1 kg chicken, cut into chunks.
½ cup tomato paste (or 1 cup tomato sauce)
1 small can (85gms) liver spread (or ½ cup smash boiled chicken liver)
¼ cup grated cheese
5 pieces medium size hotdog (Optional)
1 bulb big onion (quartered)
5 cloves garlic (chopped)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup vinegar
1 piece - laurel leaf (bay leaf)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pieces bell pepper (red or green)
2 pieces medium size potatoes (quartered)- you may opt fry it in a separate pan or use as is.
1 piece carrot (cut to about 1 inch)
1/2 cup green peas (Boiled)
Fish sauce (patis) for seasoning.
1. Sauté garlic and onions
2. Add chicken then stir fry until its color change to slightly brown.
3. Add hotdogs, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, garlic, laurel leaf, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Add water if necessary. Cover the pan during cooking.
4. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue cooking for at least 10 minutes or until vegetables becomes tender.
5. Add cooked green peas.
6. Add liver spread and grated cheese to thicken the sauce.
7. Season with patis to taste
8. Always serve hot.